Top Prosecutor Practicing Law In Essex

Christopher Morano

In this photo from March 2006, Christopher Morano, the chief state's attorney at the time, speaks before the Joint Committee on Government Administration and Elections at the Legislative Office Building. Morano has settled into his new law practice in his hometown of Essex. (MICHAEL MCANDREWS / HARTFORD COURANT / March 8, 2006)

Chris Morano, the state's former top prosecutor, has settled into his new law practice and a new sideline down in his hometown, Essex.

Morano, the chief state's attorney from 2002 to 2006, is not only happily practicing law from his Main Street office, he's also an owner of That's the Spirit Shoppe, just a few storefronts away.

"I'm part of an LLC, and it was a good investment in the town I live in," said Morano, who was regularly in the state's headlines for cases including the Michael Skakel trial, the Michael Ross execution, and political corruption during former Gov. John Rowland's term. "I like just being able to practice law and not worry about policies."

And as far as the new liquor venture?

"It's more of a wine shop," said Morano, who noted that he is learning to be a kind of connoisseur.

Along with his two businesses, Morano is also able to relive his high school days more frequently, courtesy of another Essex business owner, Joan Paul, who, with her husband, owns the Griswold Inn.

"Chris and I went to high school together," Paul said. "Who knew we would both leave Essex for a while and then come back and settle in the same town? Now our kids go to high school together."

Last Edited By: inmyhumbleopinion Feb 19 11 9:22 AM. Edited 1 time.