Sursum Corda

This forum is for discussion of the 1975 murder of Martha Moxley and the subsequent trial, conviction, and now the appeal of Michael
Skakel.

KennyKennedy

Unread post 13 Nov 2006, 03:04 #1

Are there any pictures of Sursum Corda? I know its on Cliffdale road in North Greenwich, and I'm guessing which house it is from the description Skakel gives in his book proposal, "A huge castle-like place." Maybe, if anyone else is interested, ill snap a picture of the place and put it up here.
Last edited by KennyKennedy on 29 Apr 2013, 16:01, edited 2 times in total.

pag8950

Unread post 13 Nov 2006, 23:49 #2

Sure. Is it still in the family?

sal37

Unread post 13 Nov 2006, 23:51 #3

That would be great Kenny , and welcome to the camp. Do you know if the Terriens still own Sursum Corda? Looking forward to a picture of it. Get us a shot of the Beefeaters too. ;-]

Yosh K40

Unread post 14 Nov 2006, 06:50 #4

I may be wrong on this but I don't think Sursum Corda is around anymore . I think someone told me at one time that the house was torn down and everything on the property has changed .
Ken,
I did take a ride through Cliffdale not long ago , but found nothing that would indicate or named Sursum Corda . I think it was close to that small wooden bridge near the end of Cliffdale .

KennyKennedy

Unread post 15 Nov 2006, 03:39 #5

I have no idea if it is still in the family or not, but my gut is telling me no. I know that George Terrien left the vast majority of the his assets, including those Georgeann left to him, to Virginia Law School.
Yosh, you may be right about it being torn down I have no idea. There was one house that resembled what Skakel gave in his book proposal, but I was assuming it was still there. It had stables and was sort of castle-like. Not sure I should take the picture because it might not be the correct place!!
PS-Yosh do you know if the original Skakel mansion on Lake Ave. is still around??
KK

Yosh K40

Unread post 16 Nov 2006, 06:15 #6

Ken,
That mansion is still there but you can't see it from Lake Ave because it's on Simmons Lane , a private road .. If you want to see it , take Lake until you come to the intersection of Lake and Clapboard Ridge . You'll pass Butternut Hollow which will be on your right . A few hundred yards from there , look on your left for what looks like a road entrance but has a very large tree right in the middle of it and a row of green mailboxes .Theres no street sign with the name of Simmons Lane . Go into that entrance and about the fourth driveway on your left will be one of the entrances to the mansion . If you keep going , you'll come to the other entrance gate . The whole length along the rroad has a tall black metal fence .
If you happen to miss the entrance , just go up to Mountain Wood Dr. on your left , turn around there and then head back down Lake . You'll probably be able to see the tree and the mailboxes on your right a little easier .
BTW, have you ever heard of the book " The Other Mrs. Kennedy" ? It's loaded with information about the Skakel family going back to Rushton's Mother and Father . There's a chapter in it called " Lake Ave" , pages 49 to 53 which talks about how Rushtons father bought it for a song and a dance during the DEpression of the 30's . There's also a chapter about the Martha Moxley murder .Greenwich Library usually has a copy with catalog number 973.69 section .
Did you also know that Bobby and Ethel Kennedy were married at St. Mary's Church on Greenwich Ave and John Kennedy was best man before he became President .

KennyKennedy

Unread post 16 Nov 2006, 23:16 #7

Thanks Yosh! Ive been for that house forever with no luck. I will definitly check it out tomorrow!!! I have read The Other Mrs Kennedy and it is one of my favorites because it tells the whole history of the family. How about Rushton's brothers Jim and especially George? Shooting people and each other!! Wild bunch...There was also a service at St Marys when Rushton died a few years ago. I remember there were hundreds of people all over the avenue

KennyKennedy

Unread post 01 Dec 2006, 05:32 #8

Yosh,
Thanks again for the info on the location of old Georgie's house...I checked it out and the directions were perfect. That house is just endless. I could practically see Jimmy and George jr. sitting up in one of the windows shooting random statues on the propery!!!!
-KK

SkakelLiquorCabinet

Unread post 17 Aug 2010, 22:53 #9

Old post but what the hell....
I think you are right, Yosh. Same house i thought was Sursum Corda right before that wooden bridge over the river..  It has an orchard, stables, a huge barn, and is a castle-like sort of dwelling.  Not as big as they make it out to be in the books but definitely a nice spot no question.  That has to be it.  There isnt any other house on that road that even comes close.  Unless the house was torn down for some reason. 
PS- im curious to see where the skakel plot is in st marys any idea???

inmyhumbleopinion

Unread post 29 Apr 2013, 16:00 #10

George Terrien's CT death index entry lists his address as 58 Cliffdale Rd. For what it's worth, google maps puts it here: